Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden's death and conflicting emotions

Since the news broke last night about Osama bin Laden's death, I've experienced conflicting emotions. Thrilled an evil man's terror has ended but celebrating his death feels more like him than like Jesus.  

MLK, Jr. said, "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." 

Or Ezekiel 18:23 which says, "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?"  

Then a friend linked to this blog post that I found especially insightful. See Eric Epperson's post on his blog.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. It appears there is not so much difference between us and them as we are inclined to believe and proclaim. The images of the celebration in front of the white house and New York could have been taken straight from Al Jazeera, hauntingly like Tehran or Damascus or the West bank ... except for the american flags and everyone dressed in Hollister with their Iphones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    I know exactly how you feel, but I understand that the wicked shall be cut off if they don't turn from their wicked ways. I would hope that people would come to repentance and accept Jesus as their savior. We know it is not the will of the father that any should perish. We just have to trust in God's sovereignty.

    Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your hear rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him. Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out. Prov 24:17-20

    Also Ps37 whole chapter
    God is sovereign. Selah

    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete